Koketso Sachane interviewed Colin about how one’s energy impacts all one’s outcomes.
WHAT WE BELIEVE WE DO DIFFERENTLY AND BEST
We focus on Human Energy and the crucial role it plays in all human outcomes, as individuals, in teams, in organizations and even in communities.
It ultimately defines success or failure in what we as humans seek to achieve and how we want to live.
HIGH ENERGY INDIVIDUALS
The challenge for each one of us is to see Energy and feel its powerful impact on everything we do: at work, at home and at play.
We need to understand it; value it; and then master it sustainably!
The pay-off is that we THINK better and behave differently: at work, at home and at play.
• Individual Energy Coaching.
• We share the learning in groups of up to 40, or more. We call these “Energy Days”.
• We train Energy Coaches and Team Managers within organizations to share the learning amongst colleagues.
• We have created a video based e-learning program, our “Personal Energy Journey”, to reach large numbers at lower levels within organizations.
• We have published a book called “Peoples” that tells the Energy Story simply for children – and for adults!
• We follow up each Energy session with a series of our Fully Alive Letters, at intervals of 4 to 5 weeks to sustain the learning.
HIGH ENERGY TEAMS
Successful teams are made up of high energy individuals WHO TRUST EACH OTHER. The challenge is to understand and accept that, and then to change the behaviours to build trust.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
• We work together, out of the office if possible, and we reinforce why we are together.
• We share our own values to create a common set of team values.
• We explore the Quantum World and expand our thinking exponentially.
• We examine our paradigms – our pictures of the World – and find common ones that drive the way we choose to behave towards one another.
• We test those behaviours against the way a Pride of Lions behaves and achieves.
• We learn to THINK TOGETHER!
We call this our “Energy Journey”, which we tailor make for each client, usually at regular intervals spread over about a year.
We use unique experiences – in the Bush; in the Inner City; at Constitution Hill – and powerful speakers, well debriefed into relevant learning to enrich the Journey.
ORGANIZATION AND COMMUNITY ENERGY
Successful organisations and communities have a clear VISION of where they are headed. They have the buy-in of high energy members, and they are alert to the risks and opportunities that face them constantly.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
• We have a new approach to Strategic Planning in the Quantum world that technology is revealing in a convincing way.
• We facilitate 2-day off-site sessions to review and define Vision.
• We work through a Values process to align and share the team’s values.
• We create the reality of what we call the “Seeing Eye” – the capacity to see new risks and opportunities through the eyes of everyone in the organization.
• We use innovative learning exercises and experiences, such as our tried and tested “Gold of the Desert Kings”. We don’t go bungi jumping, zip lining or go-carting!
• We leave with no doubt that we do infinitely better as a team when we THINK TOGETHER.
We have developed, tried and tested our own eQ Energy Survey which enables reliable diagnosis, comparisons and the measurement of progress on the Energy Journey – at individual, team and organizational levels.
We have developed and share an additional step in the recruitment process for identifying candidates with naturally high energy.
We focus on Human Energy.
We try to stay at the cutting edge of all new insights in the area of Energy – in Nature, from New Science, Neurology, Psychology and Human Physiology.
But we share with the Simplicity on the far side of Complexity.
We have one foot in the Linear World, and the other in the Quantum World – the world of unpredictability, uncertainty and infinite challenge!
We put a great deal of effort into high energy learning, learning spaces and experiences. We do as little teaching as possible, and there is no “death by Power Point”!
And if it isn’t FUN, we have failed!
We need to educate ourselves and others to gain an understanding about and respect for the environment. Kids are the future drivers of change and I believe that more emphasis needs to be placed on science education.
Deep in the listening exercise we call “covenanting”:
The leader/follower blindfold exercise that leverages trust:
I recently ran an Energy Workshop for the wonderful staff of Nwanda Financial Services in Bryanston. My brief was to make them aware of their own energy, and the energy of their peers at the office.
1. Ntsepeng wearing her blue “energy spectacles” (i.e. becoming aware of her own energy).
2. The Trust blindfold exercise with a difference. The entire group wears blindfolds and they need to listen carefully to their “leader”. The leader must earn the Trust of the entire group. No mean feat.
3. In our language we talk about BLUE being high positive energy, and RED being low negative energy. The BLUE and RED balloons make a good picture so the lessons are not forgotten. We ask the delegates to each share one BLUE story and one RED story at their tables.
Every now and again I find a book that absolutely fascinates me.
“The man who tapped the secrets of the universe” by Glenn Clark is the latest. The hero of the book is Walter Russell, an American of whom I had never heard. Apparently an incredible man! A sculptor, a painter, a musician, a champion horse rider, a figure skater and a thinker of note.
“You will be amazed when I tell you that the compensating principle of balance which really reloads you with renewed energy after you have expended all in some creation, lies in those very simple qualities of your consciousness which we know by the names of joy, happiness, enthusiasm, inspiration, intuition, effervescence and by that climaxing word of all words, ecstasy.
Think of it, how simple it is to know that the joy of an achievement recharges you with the balancing energy for the next achievement. If you have no joy or happiness in your work, finding it to be drudgery instead, you will fatigue from the devitalizing discharge of the energy which caused the achievement.
As the years go by your mind becomes dull from its constant devitalizing draining of energy and the body disintegrates prematurely. At the period which should begin an ascent of greater vitality you have become a walking dead man.
The greater the joy within one’s inner consciousness, the greater the force of the recharge of energy within one; and that is why I have climaxed my defining words with the word ecstatic. The ecstatic man is the most dynamic, the most silent and the most undemonstrative of all men.
By ecstatic I mean that rare mental condition which makes an inspired man so supremely happy in his mental concentration that he is practically unaware of everything which goes on around him extraneous to his purpose, but is keenly and vitally aware of everything pertaining to his purpose.
He who cultivates that quiet unobtrusive ecstasy and inner joyousness can scale any heights and be a leader in his field no matter what that field is”.
Nature, left to its own devices by humans, is the most remarkable self-regulating system and here in Africa its lessons are so easy to see and learn. It is so available, so varied and so dramatic.
Power – sheer killing power – is evident everywhere. Lions hunting in prides, or as individuals, kill buffaloes of twice their fighting weight and more; wild dogs in running packs kill smaller antelope almost indiscriminately; dwarf mongoose mount dawn to dusk vigilance lest they and their young fall prey to eagles soaring above in search of food; spiders like the Golden Orb spin tough webs to trap insects, and even kill and eat their male mates after mating.
But power isn’t what drives the system. It plays an essential role, but the system focuses upon energy, better still on synergy – not power. What is amazing is how carefully and judiciously nature uses power and how exquisitely it maintains the balance of power between those that are scarce and more powerful, and those that are abundant, but occupy a lower rank in the power hierarchy. Therein lies a lesson for humans and especially for those who occupy positions at the top of human hierarchies – governments, corporations, schools and even families.
But the really exciting lessons that nature teaches are about maximising energy – finding synergy, exponential energy – enhancing the life experience for all who are part of the system. Key to synergy is diversity and nature knows that every blade of grass, animal, insect and leaf is unique.
When a browsing antelope approaches a tree in fresh leaf in spring or early summer, the tree is threatened. Its survival is at stake. It quickly responds by sending tannin to that part of itself that is being browsed, the leaves become bitter and the antelope moves on to a nearby tree. But, remarkably, the nearby trees have been forewarned and have already raised the tannin content of their leaves closest to the approaching antelope. Trees caring for one another!
And lichen provides a lovely example of two unique living organisms choosing to live together in lifetime harmony. A fungus processing food for both itself and its companion, an algae processing air to breath together.
Many human systems exist on power alone but they don’t appear to be sustainable. Slow death seems a certainty. A few understand synergy and energy – willing, positive, free human energy – and they seem to thrive. They can strike a balance between the necessary but limited use of coercive power and authority, and the infinite potential of positive human energy. They have understood the difference between a yacht with a small auxiliary motor and a jet ski with no spinnaker – or the difference between a high-powered motorcar and a light aircraft. Most important of all is that they see all humans as unique and in that uniqueness lies the formula for synergy. The horizons become unlimited and the fuel is largely free – riding ahead of the wind and riding on air.
All organisations know how to wield and teach power – families, schools, businesses, governments and even brothers and sisters and husbands and wives. Maximising positive human energy seems to have been forgotten. Synergy, the reward for diversity, is almost a swear word.
We remind participants about what they always knew – that each one of us is unique and any two of us can find wonderful synergy if we really seek it, and that high-synergy people in high-energy relationships create high-energy families, schools and businesses. They multiply possibilities and potential. Low energy/high power people subtract and divide. That is what we teach best.